Friday, September 19, 2008

McDonalds Angel

Hello everyone: Another great couple of days, especially since we have great phone service now. If you haven't heard yet, you call call me toll free by calling 602-903-5369.
Today I went to a large shopping area. It was really fun. Many hundred little shops selling anything you want. I went with our Branch President. He has been here for 4 years, so pretty well knows his way around. He takes me to a place where I can purchase a pair of levis. I find a pair I like. I ask to try them on. She holds up a sheet and I proceed to change clothes and try them on. They fit perfect. No tailoring needed. Mother decides she wants a pair. Same thing. This time, I hold up the sheet, two feet from the aisle way. Mothers needs tailoring. We negotiate a price of $10.00 each. We walk down the aisle three of four stores to the tailor. She measures moms legs. Cuts off a couple of inches, re hems the bottom and gives them back. Cuts, sews and irons them, all is less than two minutes. Boy could the tailors in the U S take a lesson from these folks here.
Then we went to McDonalds for lunch. When I order, I say I'd like a diet coke with no ice. She nods. I'd like a quarter pounder with no cheese, she smiles and nods OK. I think, this is way too easy. I show her a picture of fried chicken. She nods and says OK. I pay. Pretty soon she brings my order. Diet coke, with no ice. A quarter pounder without cheese, Fried chicken with a wing and a breast. This can't be right, she got it perfect, the first time. I take my order to the table where mom is sitting. I go back to get some napkins. The lady is gone. I ask where is the other lady that was here. Nobody speaks english. I look behind the counter, no lady. I look in the kitchen, no lady. I see the manager by looking at her name tag. I describe the lady to her. I tell her (like she speaks English.) like she understands. She shakes her head. I go back and we eat our lunch. I keep watching for my English speaking waitress. Never to be seen. I know that she was an angel sent from heaven.. My prayers have been answered. Maybe it was my dad just made to look like a girl so I couldn't recognize him, (or her) and he was sent to help me. Who ever it was, I am very greatful, and I am going to pray that I am continually blesses the same way the next time I go to McDonalds.
I take a cab home. He stops in front of the guard gate, because the guard now knows that I am not the base General. The guard makes us get out and walk the rest of the way home. I am sitting in the front seat of the taxi. I open my door. In the side of my eye, I see a man on a bicycle coming. He is flat out moving. My door is open. He sees the door. His face is in horror. (mine too!!!) I know I'm going to go to jail for this. He does a right turn down some alley at full speed ahead. As he goes by he gives me "the look" I mean, this guy was going at least 25 miles an hour. The taxi driver almost got a new fare, bike and all- On my lap. If he would have hit us, the taxi door would have been history. Luckily the door window was down, because his bike would have stopped, but he would have been sailing through the open window. I quickly pay the taxi driver, and hot footed it out of there so the guy on the bike can't find me. I got lost in the croud. This guy was no spring chicken. He was at least my age.
Well, we go to dinner tonight with three other couples from the branch. We have a good dinner. One of the couples are the branch president and his wife. I tell the branch president that Art Jones, (one of the other fellows with us, and his wife) Has been preparing for his PSS. And he is very excited. Art Jones gives me a blank stare. The branch president asks Art what he is preparing. Art doesn't know. The branch president asks me what is his PSS. I say, you know, "permanent Sacrament meeting speaker" Art is not thrilled.
I taught my first sophmore class today. At least I was told they were sophomores. Anyway, I told you a little about the class a letter or two ago. I meet the kids. I speak to them, all I get are blank stares. I ask a question, and no answers. Finally I get two or three of them to speak to me. They really aren't to bad with their English. I ask each student to introduce themselves to me, and why they are taking this class. One student says, I want PHD. I think, does he know what he is talking about? I think, well maybe he does. He wants to be a PHD-- Post Hole Digger. That class needs some help. Come to find out, they are sophomores all right. They are high school kids that could not pass the entrance exam and they are in their second year of preparing to be accepted into their first year of college. Well, like I said, they are nice kids, but will just need a little more help and attention.
Well, it is 6:15 Arizona and California time, 7:15 Utah time. You should be about ready to arise and enjoy Friday. Remember, the next time you ride in a taxi, look before you open the door. I was informed that if the old boy had hit the door, it would have been my fault. I would not only probably have gone to jail, but at $5.33 and hour, it would have been 2050 before I could return home. I think that I am going to try to get me some hazard protection insurance. Well, we enjoy talking to you. I encorage each of you to download Skype. That way we can see each of you and the grand kids. This morning, I go to my lap top and start to do some school preparation. I look at my lap top screen. To my surprise, I see Tyler, Annamarie and Katie. I say "Tyler is that you" He says, "who do you think it is." I'm sitting there in my undies. I look to see if my camera is on. Thank goodness it's not. Anyway, we have a good chat and I get to talk to Katie and she finally smiles and laughs when she see's me. Ahh, life is great. Please, each one set up skype, with a video camera, if you don't already have it. You can see us with out a camera, but the idea is for us to see the grand kids. If you need help, Dave can set it up for you. In Scott's case, Denise can set it up. Well, all of you have a great day. I love you all. Dad

2 comments:

Mama Teresa said...

Oh my, Brother Farrell (I don't feel that I know you well enough to address you by your first name)... you are hilarious! I decided to check your blog today on my lunch hour. I was laughing so hard that everyone in my office wanted to know what the joke was. I now have visuals of ungrateful cats, homicidal taxi drivers and kamikazi bicyclists to keep me smiling. Living vicariously may be the closest I ever come to China and for that I thank you very much! Please take care of your self and your sweet wife, Teresa Rogers (Emerald Bay Ward)

Emily Ferrell said...

Ryan promises that he will set up skype with a camera tomorrow. The girls will be so excited to see you on the computer. Hailey keeps asking me when she can visit you. I have to keep reminding her that we aren't visiting you any time soon.