Friday, September 12, 2008

How to catch a cab- Dad

Hi everyone: This has been a busy day. It is now about 9:00 P.M. Just arrivede back home. I went to the Gym this morning, then went to the market. I met a Chinese lady who helped me accomplish some things. She spoke good English. I got a hair cut while I was there. I got my monies worth. I showed the barber that I wanted her to take off about 1/2 inch. On the top, she did what I asked. On the side burns, there are no side burns left. I don't know what she thought, but I won't need another hair cut until I get home next June or July. Like I said, I got my monies worth. It cost me $1.60. She washed my head, gave me a scalp massage, and a hair cut. Then back to the washing part again. Ive got the cleanest head ever. I thought it would cost about $25.00, but no, just a buck sixty. I have been given a raise. I now make just $16.00 a month less than mother. I have received a $64.00 per month raise. For the raise, I am going to teach another class. This is an adult education class. They hardly know English. Well. since I hardly know Chinese, we are on equal ground. I teach the class on Wednesday afternoon from 2 until 5. I eacn $16.00. $5.33 per hour. Not bad! Tonight we went to dinner with 4 of our friends from the U. S. Most all of the restaurants are a hole in the wall, but the restaurants are clean and the food is DELICIOUS. Tonights meal was no exception. Mom had baked crab, and fries and orange juice. I had some great tomato soup, Chinese beef and vegetables and soda. The portions wern't too big but OK. Our meal cost about $4.00 total. The cab fare was a buck sixty, so the evening wasn't all that expensive. Hailing a cab is very interesting. I walk out in the middle of the street between the cars, buses, and bikes, going 30 to 50 mph. I see a cab, I hold my hand up. He waves to me and drives by. I do that four or five times, I get the same response from all of the cabs. Finially I see an empty cab coming. I step in front of him. He has to stop. I stay in front of him until mother gets in, then I run to get in before he leaves me. He says,something to me in Chinese. I motion for him to just go down the road. We see a place we want to stop. I hold up my two hands in a :T: (like time out) he stops, we get out, and I give him a buck twenty and he is off. The taxi drivers all work for the government, so they don't care if they get a fare or not. They would just as soon not. I've got it down though, if I don';t get killed first. I am getting good enough to just do as the Chinese do. None of them seem to have been hit, so I should be OK. Tonight, I told the cab driver that I wanted to go to Nankai University. I said Nankai Dah Shuh. He said Ok. He took us somewhere I had never seen before. We passed through the guard gate. he said something to the guard, the guard looked at me, I said Professor, the guard saluted me and motioned us through the gate. I thought I must be on some milatary base and the guard must have thought I was the General. Anyway, the taxi driver goes for a while, I have no idea where I am, but I know I'm somewhere. He drives a while longer, and pretty soon I recognize an area. I am then able to direct him to our housing. I bow and thank him, he bows and thanks me. I bow again and thank him again. He bows a couple of more times to me.. After a few more bown, I realize he wants some money. After I pay him, the bowing stops and he leaves. It is very safe here, no matter where you are. (I think) Our maid comes everyday. She is good and very nice. She speaks to me in Chinese, I speak to her in English, and we have a very nice conversation. We have a lot of pictures of the family, and all of our grand children, on our walls. Some times I walk into the liveing room, and I will say, "Good Morning" to each of you. No one ever talks back, so we get along just fine. In the evening, sometimes I hear someone whistle. I thought someone must be whistleing to tell his girl friend to come down. I look out the window, and I see no one. He whistles again, but still no one. After the 5th or 6th whistle, I go down and outside myself to see If I can help him get who ever he wants. I get there, but no one is there. I go back into our apartment, and the whistleing starts again. This time I hide myself out side on the balcony, with the lights out. Now I know I will catch him. He whistles again, this time I see him. (or her) It is a very large bird in the tree. I tell the old boy (or girl) "good night" and the whistleing starts again. This time I take my harmonica out on the balcany, when he whistles, I play the harmonica. When I play the harmonica, the old boy (or girl) starts whisteling to my tune. When I stop, he stops. I again wish him good night. and we both go to bed. Well, I'm not actually sure about him. (or her) Well, that's about it. China is a great experience. I am very relaxed, and life is simple here. well, OK, "good night to all of you" or maby I should say good morning, as it is about 7:00 A. M. your time. Enjoy your day, I will enjoy my night. I think I will bow to mother and go to bed. I love you all. Dad

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This is the funniest! I can't stop laughing! So did you bow to Paula? Brother Ferrell, you are awesome! I love the story and learning about a great day of yours. It sounds so interesting. What an experience for you both! We love and miss you.