Saturday, September 27, 2008

Big Time TV Star- Dad

A few days ago, I received a telephone call from a fellow professor here at Nankai. He told me that I was needed to take part in a television interview.. He said the television station needed an American professor to take part in the interview. I am told that Americans here are contacted regularly to take part in interviews, so it's no big deal. I was told that I would shortly receive a telephone call from the television station to set up the arrangements. When I received that first call, it was 2:30 P. M. on Thursday. I shortly received a call from the Television Station. They said they would like to conduct the interview at 3:00 P. M. (that gives me 1/2 hour to get ready. I ask him why I am to be involved in the interview.) He says they want to discuss "Nurses in Canada."
I say, "What?"
He repeats himself.
I say, "You got this wrong, I am not a nurse, and I've only been to Canada once."
He says, "not problem.
I say, "what do you mean, "no problem?"
He says, "you'll do fine."
Now I'm a little worried. I think that maybe this is a front for the military to come and get me, and do away with me because of my last weeks problems of being so late to class. He tells me that he will meet me in the lobby of our apartment in 30 minutes. I agree, but I'm concerned. I dress in my suit and tie and go down to the lobby. When I arrive, I meet the man from the station, and two camera men, along with about 25 young people, either college age, or a couple of years older.
He says "this should only take a few minutes."
I think to myself, "Yeah right, if I'm going to executed."
We go out to his car. I get into the car along with the two camera men, and the man from the station. The college kids get into a bus and follow behind us. I check to make sure that the back door is not locked. I want to make sure that I can unlock the door and make a run for it, if necessary. Well, we're off.
I say, "Where are we going?"
He said, " To a university classroom. We want this interview to take place on campus."
That makes me feel a little better. We drive for a few minutes, then stop and get out. We walk up two fights of stairs, and go into a class room. Now, I figure it out. They are going to throw me out the window and make it look like an accident. When everyone arrives, the man from the station sits down with me, and basically says to me,
"here's the deal. The camera man will be in the class room. he will video you walking into the class room. All of the students will be seated in their desk, and you will be teaching them, as though they were your full time students.
I say, "OK, but what do I teach them."
He says, "You are going to teach them about nurses in Canada."
Now, I tell this guy, "Hey, I don't know anything about nurses in Canada."
He says, "No problem."
I start to get worried again.
He says, "When the camera starts rolling, walk into the class room, and say, 'good afternoon everyone, welcome to our class, to learn English as a second language.' "
I say, "Wait a minute, you said I was goiong teach them about nurses in Canada, which by the way I still know nothing about."
He again says, "No problem."
I say, "And now you want me to teach them ESL which I know nothing about also."
He says "No problem!"
I think to myself, "Yeah, no problem for you."
I say, "You know what? You've got the wrong guy here. While my wife doesn't know anything about nurses in Canada, she really does know something about ESL."
He says, "No problem, you'll do fine"
Now I question his judgement.
He says, "walk into the classroom. Say, 'good afternoon eveyone, and welcome to our class where you will learn English as a second language.' "
He says, "Say-'after you complete your one year course at the uniuversity in ESL, you will be qualified to go to Canada and attend Cambio College. There you will be admittted into their nursing program. After two more years, you will obtain your nursing degree."
He says, "Tell them that in Canada there is a big shortage of nurses and after they graduate they can find a good job and earn a lot of money."
I say, "How do I know there is a shortage of nurses in Canada, and also, how do I know if they go to Cambio College for two years that they will graduate and get a good job?"
He says, "No problem."
He says, "After that, the students will ask you some questions."
I say, "about what?"
He says, "Nurses in Canada."
I say, "I don't know anything about nurses in Canada."
Well, you know what he says. So, here we go. The camera starts filming. I walk into the class.
I say, "good afternoon." They all repeat back, "good afternoon."
I say, "I am Professor Ferrell, and I welcome you to the class in which you will be learning English as your second language." They all clap and shout. I say how important this class is because when they graduate, they will be able to speak English. I tell them that they will then be qualified to go to Canada to attend Cambio College near Toronto and enroll in the nursing program. I tell them what a great opportunity it is for them to have this program available,, and they should feel very honored to have been selected to take part in this program. I figure he wants me to really make it sound good, so I do.
He then stops camera man. He says, "good job" He says, "Now, we will start the camera again and the students will ask you some questions."
One boy raises his hand and asks, "How much money can I earn when I graduate from Cambio College."
I think to myself, "How do I know." I know that is not the answer he is looking for. I figure, well, nurses in Canada must earn about the same as the USA. However, I have no idea how much nurses earn in the USA. However, I figure they must earn at least $50,000.00 per year. I say, "If your good at what you do, you could probably start at about $50,000.00 per year." Well, I know that that sounds like a lot of money to a student here in China, because a college grad here starts out at about $5000.00 per year. (American dollars) The students all shout and clap.
Another student asks, "Is it safe to live in Canada?
I think, "how do I know if its safe to live in Canada? I figure it's probably about as safe to live in Canada as it is in the USA. I say, "Well, it's really pretty safe, as long as you stay in the safe areas."
The students clap and cheer. Now, I wonder, why are they clapping and cheering. Well, anyway the production and the interview is over. He says to me, "I will send you a video clip, before it goes on television. I say great. I say "good bye" to the students, and the camera crew. The television director takes me back to our apartment.
He says "Thanks."
I say, "no problem." I open the door to get out, and he says. "Oh, wait a minute." He hands me some money.
I say, "No, no, I am happy to help you,"
He says, "You must take it."
I say, "Why?" The company wants to make sure you are paid. Then, the lights come on. This is not an interview, I just did an advertisement for them, and I got paid for doing it. I say "OK " and take the money. When he leaves, I count the money. He paid me $400.00 American dollars. Not a bad deal. I go in and tell mother what happened. I tell her that I am going to quit the university and go to work full time in television advertising. At $400.00 dollars per half hour, and working ten hours a day, I would earn $8000.00 per day. Even at the $400.00 I earned in 1/2 hour, that's as much as I earn in a month at the university. I don't know who negotiated my contract at the university, but I am not getting what I am worth, according to the television man. Well, anyway, a lot more happened, but that was the most intertesting. If I get to a computer along the way, I will write more. I love you all. Good night, Or good morning. Dad.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Yeah for Pres. Ferrell! Fun idea to stick with advertising!

Ashley - love what you've done with titling the blog entries, but I did like the orange with the China info.

:)

Our Family said...

Hi! I'm one of Amber's friends, and was in her card club with her, Ashley and your wife. I knew you guys would be in China soon and saw that Amber gave the blog address so I wanted to check in. I had to laugh SOOO HARD at your story, because I lived in China for about 5 months and that story is just so China. I hope you guys have a wonderful time there. The people are great and will treat you like celebrities! I can't wait for the church to get there. Thanks for sharing your story - I LOVED it!