Monday, October 20, 2008

Made in China- Dad

Dear family, friends, and others of interest:
It is Tuesday evening here in China. Tomorrow is my big day (birthday). I begin at 8:00 A. M. and finish at 5:00 P. M.. The good news is that we are off Thursday thur Sunday. This Saturday we are going to another market. This place is full of markets. Now I know why everything you buy in America says 'made in China' Last Saturday we took the bullet train to Beijing. It took exactly 30 minutes. (eighty miles) That thing was flat moving. Very smoothe. At Beijing we first went to the silk market. The largest market in China. Litterly hundreds of shops, selling everything. Anything you buy has a name brand label. I purchased two sets of Ping golf clubs. Everyone of them looked like pings, including the bag. The only thing different was the price. The price is about ten percent of the price in America. You do have to pay shipping however. I think these pings are for the golfer wannabe. You just show off your clubs, but never use them. Well, they did look great. Brit will try out a set and see how they are. If they are great, I will go into business in America boot legging Ping golf clubs. Actually I could boot leg almost anything, I purchased a very nice watch. I don't know what kind it is, but the guy with me told me in America it would sell for several thousand dollars. Boy, the guy that sold me the watch must have really been hungry, because I paid fifteen dollars for the several thousand dollar watch. The list goes on and on. Mother went nuts in the pearl factory. They really were real pearls. This is the pearl capital of the world. I was negotiating the price for mother. Pretty soon mother says, 'no that's to cheap. The lady accepts my bid, and mother ups my bid after it has been accepted. She says the lady must make a profit. I say, 'look, the lady wouldn't sell the stuff if she didn't make a profi.' Mother says, 'it's ok, she needs to make a bigger profit/' I say, 'what do you need me for, if you are always going to up my offer' Mother says, 'don;t get them down so low.' Boy am I confused. I thought the whole idea was to get the best deal you can. I know that their atttitude is to get as much money as possible out of me. I tell mother, 'I have never seen them lower their offer after I have accepted their price.' She says, 'that's different, they need more money. They need more customers like mother! Well, at the Golf shop the price has already been negotiated, because our branch president has purchased several sets of Pings and Caloways prior and had them shipped home. Lucky for me, Mother was not with me when I purchased the Pings. After buying the Pings, we go to Subway for lunch. Really, one subway in Beijing. None in our town. I order my lunch, as does mother. they lady says to me '35 yuan.' About four bucks. I offer her ten Yuan. She looks at me like I am nuts. She again says, '35 Yuan' I offer 12 yuan. She laughs at me. Finially I find out, you can't negotiate meals at fast food restaurants. Well, at least I tried. Good thing mother wasn't with me, she would have offered them more that she asked for. In the afternoon, I go to the toy market. This is where all of the toys in the world are test marketed. Well, at least that's what they told me. That place had some great stuff. Only problem, how do I get the stuff to America? I bought a few things. I did purchase a Halloween costume for me to wear in my class on Halloween day. When we originally arrived in Beijing, we had to go from the Train Station to take a bus to the subway. The bus was crouded, but ok. When we got to the subway, I couldn't believe my eyes. When the train stopped to pick us up, I say a new meaning of 'packed like sardines.' There were probably fifty or sixty of us trying to get on. I think, NO WAY! I'll just wait for the next train. Everyone starts to get on. I can't wait to see what happens. The people just start pushing and they get on. I think, well, I'll try it also. I start pushing, but no one moves. I push harder and finially get on as does mother. As soon as I get on, the door closes. The rest of our group is not on the train. Now I'm worried. I may never see them again. I immediately put my arm between the doors so they can't close. I nearly lose my arm. The train starts going. Without my arm. I jerk it out fast. Lucky for me I still have an arm. (I think) Now I'm not so worried about the people we left, I just worried that I may have to have my arm amputated. The subway train is so crouded, I can't check to see if I have an arm or not, I get out at the next stop. I check my arm. thankfully it is still attached. It sure doesn't feel like it. Well we wait at that stop, hoping that the rest of our group will shop up some time. Pretty soon they show up and we once again get on the next train This time, it's every man for himself. I am not going to try to keep any door open for those who aren't smart enough to push their way on quick. Returning from the Silk Market was the same way. The subway, to the bus, to the train, to the taxi back home. Thank goodness for transportation. Sunday we had meetings as usual. Well, not quite as usual. The speakers never showed up, so the Branch President started calling on individuals to speak. Well, there were 23 in attendance. Men, women and children. Actually I wasn't aware that it was an option not to show up to Sacrament meeting when you are the speakers. Well with ten minutes left, one of the speakers show up. Gives a great talk. After the meeting, I am called to be the Ward Clerk. Well actually, I am the Ward Clerks. All three of them. When I get home from church today, I get a phone call from the District Clerk. He informs me that no reports have been turned in since June. He wants me to get them caught up on Sunday. I inform him that I know nothing that a clerk does, and I don't even know what reports he wants. He says to look the reports up on the computer and there are instructions. I ask, 'what computer' The one you have. I don't have a computer. I call the BP. He says, 'no problem, I'll bring you one right away.'
Well, China is great. This week end (if I get my reports in) we are going to a market about an hour or so from Tianjin. We take a train I am told. It's susposed to be a pretty good market. I am scouting out all the good markets so when the 5 daughters/daughters in law come to China in the spring, I will know where to take them, and who I am allowed to bargain with. (according to mother) I think they are giving mother a piece of the action just to get me to pay more. Next week, all of my classes are going to have a Halloween party. I will give them each a sack of candy, and we will have donuts, apple cider, and hot chocolate in class. I think we will all have a good time. I hope that the university approves. Well, I've written enough for tonight. It is sure fun speaking with all of you from time to time. Thanks for your phone calls. Remember anyone can call me toll free at 1-602-903-5369. Simple as that. Just like calling across the street. Rings right to our apartment. No solicitors please! If you are a solicitor, you will have better luck with mother. Well, I love you all. You are the best. Take great care of my grand children. Watch over them carefully. When I return, I will take over on them, at least for a while. I love you all. Good night. Dad

2 comments:

ThePalmers said...

Dad, I knew you had your funny moments, but these posts are great. You guys are going to need a few dozen suit cases to bring home all the stuff you are buying.

By the way, how much is a set of Ping golf clubs over there (including shipping to the U.S.)?

Brandt

ThePalmers said...

Never mind, I saw the price down below.

Brandt