Saturday, October 11, 2008

I look like George Bush- Dad

Dear Family: Today, (Saturday) we worked on our lesson plans for next week, and this afternoon we went to a members home for a bar b que and then we watched the Priesthood and Relief Society sessions of General Conference. The 7 ladies watched theirs on the main floor, The Korean ladies on the second floor, the Chinese family on the patio and the English men watched the Priesthood session on the 3rd floor of the home. It worked out well. The bar b que was great. Good old USA food. It wasn't In N Out, but it wasn't bad. Yesterday I went to the qym. I went to run on the tread mill, but it wasn't turned on. I could see it was plugged in, but no light was on. This time I remembered not to un plug the unit or push the reset button. I finally found a button underneath the unit and it went on. No great tragedy and no one mad at me. This morning I went to the market to get a few supplies. On the way there, the taxi was stopped in traffic because of an accident ahead. I didn't know if the car hit anothert car, a bike, or a person. I could only see one car though. After about 10 minuted stopped in the taxi, I gave the taxi driver his 10 yuen and got out. We were in the inside lane. I had to jump over the barrier and cut across 6 more lanes of traffic. that side of traffic was moving right a long. Lucky for me, the accident was up ahead a little, because the accident closed two of the lanes of traffic. I was able to manuver my way through the other 4 lanes of traffic missing the cars. The last two lanes were bicycles and electric motor bikes. Two bikes came a nats hair from running me down. I figured I was safe since the policeman was trying to direct traffic up ahead because of the accident. The policeman was causing more damage than good. Finially along comes a guy riding an electric bike not watching where he is going. He nearly runs over the policeman and smacks into the side of the car that was already there from the accident. Now traffic really does stop and I am able to safely cross the road and go into the market. On the way home the cab is stopped in the line of traffic. A Chinese fellow pulls up along side the cab and starts talking to me. In his broken English, he says something to me about George Bush. I think that he asks if I like him. I say, so so. He smiles and says something else that I can't understand. Now I think he is asking me about Obama. I smile and say yes. He looks at me like I'm Crazy. This time I understand what he says. He says, "you don't look like Obama, he's black. You look like George Bush, he's white. Well, if the Chinese people think that I look like George Bush, then I now know why the guard always salutes me and waves me through the gate, and treats me like I am the base General. I think that mother told you that while on our trip to Western China, I got into an argument with a street vendor. We negotiated for a cup of popagranite juice for 1 yuan. I said OK and drank the juice. When I tried to pay him, he said, "no 10 yuan" I told him to take a hike and walked off. The policeman came over to see what was going on. The ding bat that sold me the juice told his side of the story first. I then told my side of the story. We are 9 yuan apart. ($1.44" I negotiated for sixteen cents, now he wants a buck sixty. The police man said the going rate was 5 yuan. I think the policeman was on the side on the Chinese guy. I pay the 5 yuan, and chalk it up to experience, knowing that I just got beat out of sixty four cents. However, Tyler gave me some really good advice. He sent us an email. it said, "Confucius say, pay 1 yuan first, drink pomegranite juice last" Good advise. I will remember that in the future. I am now working on having a Halloween party for my students. Not sure what to do, any suggestions. I would like to invite them to our guest housing to trick or treat, but there are 32 foreign teachers and they would want to invite all of their students also. We would have a potential of 3500 trick or treaters. That could be costly and I'n not sure the university would approve. I think that we will carve a pumpkin in each class, and I will give them each a bag of candy. They may have to take turns trick or treating at my class room door. That could be adisater also, because when the other students from other classes see what is going on, they may join in on the trick or treating also. Well, I hope all is well with each of you. Enjoy your Saturday. Mother and I will be home from Church before you go to bed tomorrow evening. I love you all. Dad.

No comments: