Monday, January 26, 2009

So scared and so sick!!

On Tuesday afternoon of our trip, I started to feel sick and then I got so ill. I can't remember when I have felt so terrible. We decided to spend Wednesday at the hotel while the group went to see the pertrified forest by bus 4 hours away. The tour guide told the hotel manager to check on me and if I wasn't getting better to take me to the hospital. He came up about 9:30 and meet me flying to the bathroom to throw up nothing, but I couldn't seem to quit. He said he'd get a cab and to come down to the lobby immediately. I dressed and used a doggie bag to heave into. Well, the scariest experience turned out to be a highlight in my love for the Chinese people. He took me to the emergency room, we paid 75 cents to check in and the doctor examined and tested me for about 15 minutes and said I had food poisoning and needed an "infusion." I thought that meant a shot to stop the nausea and agreed. Next thing I know, I am in a "private"

room which was usually used for short term emergencies like stitching and etc. I saw they had hung 4 bottles of IV stuff to give me, so I laid back and spent the next 8 hours under their care. I greatly put them out and inconvienced them at every turn, but they were so wonderful all day, trying to meet the American's needs. We had to be at the airport at 6 to join our group and the dr. was worried about the bad traffic and so she had her husband (chemical engineer) come and drive us to the airport. The room next to mine was where I should have been--3 beds, the next room had 11 beds and one gal was in the hallway because they were out of room. It had no heat and was freezing so every 20 minutes or so they would bring hot bottles of water and put them on my feet and under each arm. I think you can tell what all of the pictures are except the "trough" which is the bathroom. Yes, you just squat and use it. I needed it 3 times and the nurse would walk me and the IV bottle down the hallway, which opened to the street. These 3 ladies were like angels and took such good care of me and I ended up feeling so much better!!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Oh my, I can't believe this! But only 75 cents and great care is so wonderful...unheard of. I'm glad you are doing so much better. What a scare! You are a brave woman to go potty in that...thing...wow... You are my hero!